Friday, July 17, 2009

Photo(s) of the Day.

I'm back from my NY trip. There's too much to be said about my experience. At the moment I don't think something of that magnitude can be put into words.  Everything is still so fresh. While I was there I visited the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) . The Met was an overwhelming experience, I was there for hours and saw a small portion of what was available. It doesn't help that Jay and I are the type of museum goers that stop and read evvvverything having to do with the work, and then sometimes if I don't feel like I have fully grasped it, I read over again. 

We went in anticipation of seeing "The Pictures Generation" show, which left me craving something bigger than I know how to fulfill alone. 

When I first got into photography Cindy Sherman blew my mind. The show contained some of her early work that I had never seen before, plus some of her images that I am familiar with. It's nice to flip through pages of a photography book and take your time pouring over photos. But seeing a large scale image by a photographer that I have admired from a distance made me tingle from head to toe.

I realize now that she influenced me a lot at the time. I started experimenting with self-portraits in the same way she did. I started dressing up, and using costume and setting to tell a narrative. Below is some of the early stuff I did. I made these for my grandmother...the man in the photo is my uncle, who was in Vietnam. I imagine family life stops when you have a loved one at war, and thats what I tried to get across.. 

I entered these images in a show at the Esperanza Peace and Justice Center years ago, and they sold immediately. Somewhere they are on someone's wall, and that's pretty cool.







2 comments:

  1. You are truly talented Mari.. If any two people were meant to do anything, JJ was meant to spin and bring the sounds of wonderful music to all the people and you were meant to take pictures. Your work is fantastic, amazing and jaw dropping. keep up the great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That almost made me cry....Thank you. Praise is one of the most desirable human needs, everyone deserves it. Thank you....

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive