Monday, October 5, 2009

My mom.

Maria Elena Enriquez

My mom was a majorette for Lanier High School. She always spoke very fondly of the experience, always reminiscing with a nostalgia that I never quite understood. The thought seemed to brighten her face with a youth long gone. She still has those boots put away somewhere.

My Dad went to Foxtech. They lived a street apart in Loma park, when they met. My mom has 9 siblings, and my dad has more.

I remember picking up my mom from driver's ed. in her beige impala. I remember picking my mom up in the early morning when she worked the night shift at Santa Rosa. I remember her being so exhausted from working all night that when I complained that I was "sick" and couldn't go to school..she remedied it with sprite and crackers and let me watch T.V. all day while she slept.... I remember my mom telling me stories of walking to school barefoot. How her lunch consisted of a tortilla and beans. How she started drinking coffee in elementary, and that was her breakfast.

I remember the story of her brother being shot on the corner by gang members. I remember the distant look in her face.

I wish I new my mom in a different way. I wish I new the mom that resides within this photo . She has done so much for my sister and I, probably more than I know.

My mom created Matriarchy for me. She never backed down. She was my first lesson in strong women.

Because of my mom, I want to help lead, and not follow.


I want to make her the proudest mom in the world...


She's never really seen my photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers