Sunday, October 18, 2009

My portfolio.


Marisa.

I don't have much formal photography training. One PHOTO 101 class has proved helpful so far. I hope for some heavy formal photography education, because technical knowledge is important, and environment is inspiring. For now I read, I research, I teach myself. I love lighting, how it works, the fact that it bends and bounces...and the endless possibilities and combinations of it.

I have decided to start working on some sort of portfolio. I have been told that a good strong portfolio contains 10-12 shots.

I don't know if I am willing to compromise to meet certain standards. So, I'm gonna attempt to produce my vision, and version of things. If my portfolio, in the end, defines my vision, then I will feel accomplished. I don't even really know what having a portfolio means...I just want to take photos.

I wonder what a people would be like if they hadn't been colonized, or eradicated. What would persist over time? How would we look? How would we differ? What would a gente with an ancient aesthetic placed within the future look like? I see it in the faces of my community. It takes my breath away.

There are forms of enhancements that have been carried through time, tattoos, piercings, and other forms of body art. Some women, and/or men, apply their makeup every morning in order to appeal to someone, or something, to fit into an ideal, or simply because they think it makes them beautiful.


This is my first portrait. And the start of a series.


(thank you to my friend Audrya who helped me, she's the best)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers