Sunday, October 25, 2009

I can't draw.


I can't draw. But on the flip side, I have been told on multiple occasions, by some well known local artists that anyone can learn to draw. There is hope. I have often thought about what I would be willing to sacrifice in vain, for the ability to draw really well. I settled on the right pinky. The conclusion being well thought out, meticulously, and I won't bore you with the details or process.

I started thinking about this futuristic, indigenous combo many years ago. I started sketching people, and adding word bubbles. This is a practically miniscule drawing. I read this book on tattoos and adornment. I imagined a society full of alterations, steeped in a beautiful aesthetic.

What kind of world would we inhabit if we woke up every day to a physical body full of art, decided that day to string a bone, a tooth, or a shiny bottle cap through our stretched ear, and hang feathers from the other. If we all saw piercing, scarification as proud body marking, or a means to communicate something important.

These details I continue to work out in my head. I find certain things beautiful, and appealing, and they happen to pop up in sub-cultures, and within small communities that I am a part of. Although it is a trend now, I wonder how many actually know the history of body art and it's importance. Hmmmm.

There is a certain type of world I have configured in my head, a world that would be so outwardly creative and inspiring that no one would have to search for it.

I am cataloging these thoughts and images, they are a part of the series of portraits I have started (see below). This world is set against music, and a cool vernacular.

I see it in my head, I see daily events and interactions. I see a world of inclusion (but, I also know who and what I would exclude).

I'm not sure how to put down what this is, or means, but I think it is coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers