Thursday, February 11, 2010

Visual Literacy and Foto Chemistry.

I am a self-diagnosed visual learner. I was reading about learning styles recently and I have all the symptoms:

-Likes pictures (duh!)
-Neat surroundings (well, I try ::polishes nails on shoulder)
-Reading to self
-A quiet working environment
-Organize thoughts by writing things down
-Visualization
-Step-by-step written instructions

And I do things like this:

One of my year long goals is to make a darkroom in our storage area. It was a summer goal but my schedule is phat at the moment. I am currently reading about and taking notes on everything needed to construct one. Right now I am reading about foto chemistry, it's the entire process of how to mix chemicals, measurements, D-76 and Dektrol, etc. It's so freaking exciting. So I am taking notes in a way that satisfies my learning preferences. I draw little things to accompany the explanations.

I visualized making an entire short film with fotos and drawings, teaching the chemical process between the emulsion on the foto and the developer. It would be nice to show to budding photographers, it's a necessary piece of information, and sort of brings everything full circle. So I take this little book of notes wherever I go, and I work on it a bit here, a bit there. When it's done, I'll put it all together and see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers