Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mas Rudas first gallery show.


March 18, 2010 will be the first gallery show for Mas Rudas: Chicana Collective.


This is a big deal for us, because none of us, at any point feels automatically entitled to such things. At the same time we are so excited that we, as woman of color, have been given this opportunity to represent who we are and where we come from creatively. It's an amazing feeling to represent your home, when it has been misrepresented in so many ways, for so long. When you wonder the streets of your city and hardly ever see a reflection of yourself within the things that are considered landmarks, or valuable. Proper representation is deep, and while it is subjective, there is a flavor and knowledge that is clear when appreciation is at the root. I attended a lecture on the topic of Art and Culture once, it was emphasized that art, at it's best, comes from the streets. When I say "from the streets," I don't mean to appropriate an urban culture that is negative and glorified at the same time. I'm not "from the streets," I never struggled in that sense, and I find it especially sad when people glorify the lifestyle, because if you were really "from the streets," it may not be something that you would want to necessarily perpetuate. I understand that "from the streets," is bought and sold just like sombrero hats at the market square, but let me clarify what I mean. When I say "from the streets," I mean from the community, I mean it starts in the people, every day people.

At this point we are solidifying details for the show. We don't have much time...but I have found a source of inspiration for myself:



Mas Rudas have a less than a month to produce a body of work. Wish us luck..


Stay tune for mas details!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers