Saturday, August 1, 2009

My article. Written by the young ladies of Studio Fm-Martinez Street Women's Center.


The workshop I did for Martinez Street Woman's Center's-Studio FM is complete. Studio FM is the home for a summer program, as well as after school programs put together by the center. It's FREE and the girls get to do all kinds of stuff. I was really impressed by the amount of activities that were scheduled. They go every day from 9-5, and are provided with meals. I must admit that looking over all of the fun things they had scheduled made me want to show up every day and beg them to let me participate. The program was all summer long and was so jam packed that I wasn't able to go back for the last portion of my workshop, which was the writing part. 
The last leg of my Juice-box Camera Workshop consists of the participants writing about their photograph, or their experience making theme camera. They are free to be creative as they want to be. One little girl during my first workshop (she was 5) picked an image that contained a bunch of bright pinks lines. Her photo developed into a story titled "Angelina's Pink Rain Forest in Argentina." After I helped her develop her story I new I was on the right track. I new Literacy Through Photography was possible for me. 
 
When I arrived to distribute the girl's photographs and present them with their certificates I was greeted by the above article. The girl's produce a newspaper containing all of the stuff they did throughout the program. The newspaper includes their writing, artwork, and documents their summer adventures. Above is what they wrote about the juice-box workshop.

  I was so happy that they took the time to write and publish their writings.  They had some great things to say, and it sounds like they really had fun. That makes me sooo happy. It makes all of my fears subside. My life-style is not conventional. I don't wish for things, or homes, or new cars. I just want to be happy. It took me a while, at the age of 30, to realize happiness for me is about giving back.

Please take the time to read what they wrote. Click on the image and it will open up larger.
I would like to thank Joleen Garcia (Executive Director), Alisha Pierce (StudioFM Program Coordinator), Becca Najera (Promotoras Program Coordinator), and Melissa (who really helped me during the workshop. You ladies are impressive and I can't wait to work with you again. 
 

GIRLS RULE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers