Sunday, August 16, 2009

Maria Inez Rodriguez.

Mary Agnes Rodriguez is a local artist who I met when I started volunteering for San Anto Cultural Arts. She is an amazing artist, and has a story that needs to be recorded. So, thats what I decided to do. I have contacted a few local artists and poets within my community who I feel would be an honor to photograph and talk to. Maria Inez (aka Mary Agnes) was the first.

I meet Mary in her studio at the Gallista Gallery. I wasn't sure what to expect, or how things would go, so I went with no expectation but to hang out and photography her. I really just wanted to hear her story, and what a story she has. We talked for almost 3 hours straight and only stopped because she needed to go back to the from of the gallery. From the minute we stepped into her space till the second I walked out the door, it was non-stop conversation. I couldn't have asked for me, it couldn't have gone more perfect.

The lighting in her gallery space was great, Mary's the kind of person that makes your feel immediately comfortable. It was like hanging with family, listening to a tale.
I learned so much about her, and about myself in such a small amount of time. We made plans to continue the conversation in the near future.

The photos I took of Mary suit my standards. I have so much respect for her that I must do this photo documentary correctly. I'm gonna make a short audio/photo doc about her. I'm gonna take my time, and do it right.

Two things we talked about:

1) How work (murals, paintings, photographs) has a story a to tell. How seeing a piece of work is one thing, but knowing the "behind the scenes," (as Mary put it) adds so much more to it.

2) Sharpies are damn reliable markers, and could be used for like everything!

It was a huge honor to listen to, and photograph Mary Agnes....


Mary plays the clarinet in a San Antonio Community Band. In middle school she dropped her art class to join band. This is Mary in her band shirt with her new drum jamming out.


I sat on the floor and listened to everything she had to say. It was inspiring and motivating .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers