Wednesday, March 31, 2010

2010 CAM Awards.

Contemporary Art Month is an even that " seeks to promote and raise the national profile of San Antonio contemporary art and artists by organizing and facilitating a month-long celebration of contemporary art, providing marketing support, and by organizing and facilitating public education programs."

When Más Rudas were first asked to do the show at the Guadalupe we realized that it would fall during CAM (Contemporary Art Month). What we didn't know is that our show would be added to the CAM calendar as an official event, or that we would be considered for an award at the end. I was first exposed to what I thought to be the "art scene" years ago, by proxy. I'm glad to know now, what I assumed to to be the end all, was really just a small corner of larger diverse creative community in San Anto. CAM was something that I heard about over the years, but to be honest, it just didn't seem as if it was something I'd end up being involved with.

Four months after the inception of our collective, Más Rudas were the recipients of 2 CAM awards, honoring our first gallery show at The Guadalupe Gallery. I believe out of six woman of color to receive awards that night, we were five of them. I think that is what I am most proud of. We stay rooted in our devotion to community building and awareness. We can talk to all the young people we work with and mentor and show them what we have accomplished, and with assurance, explain to them that they are capable of the same.

The aftermath of our gallery show has proven to be a whirlwind of opportunity, events, and everything we never expected. It's affirming and inspiring, but at the same time nerve racking and delicate.

The other morning, after days of being busy with the show and its effects I went back to work. As I approached the office and I heard the laughter and bickering amongst the kids I mentor and work with, it all became a little more clear. They are why, they are the cause, they are the effect. I have always known this, but with several new accomplishments under my belt, I some how felt that they are also a few steps closer to their goals and dreams.

In presenting our awards Patty Ortiz, Executive Director from the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, and Rene Barilleaux, Chief Curator from the McNay Art Museum, said some very nice things about our collective, and our work, biggest Thank You to them. Thank you CAM for recognizing our hard work, it is truly an honor. You left us speechless.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers