Thursday, December 31, 2009

The best art book ever!


There are days when I reeeally miss working at the book store, only because of the books. I was surrounded by, overloaded with, reading, viewing, and listening material. It was a definite luxury. It was like paradise, but at the same time you had a monster watching your every move, I'll leave it at that.

Anywho, WACK: Art And The Feminist Revolution, is one of my most prized possessions. I waited patiently for it, thinking about it everyday, and when it finally arrived, I lunged forward for it, pressing it against my chest, protecting it from those grubby little customer hands. It has provided endless inspiration, and the coolest thing about it is the inscription inside. Around the time I got the book (and devoured the inside) artist, Lorraine O'Grady was in town (07'), who was one of the artists talked about in the book. And as much as I would like to recount our conversations and meeting, I'm not the type of person who falls over artists and fakes the funk, so we had very normal and cool contact. I'd like to catch up with her someday and tell her how whenever I am feeling stuck, or bound, I read what she wrote and it elates me....as well as makes me wonder:

"For Mari,

My roller-derby feminista friend, with appreciation for updating the work in this book with a new image--The tough, feminine professional with freak tattoos! Keep up the good work--

All best wishes,
Lorraine O'Grady"



Lorraine,
I adore your hair, and thank you for making a dress out of 180 white dinner gloves and whipping yourself with them, as part of a performance piece against black oppression. Your the bomb.

p.s. Next time you come to San Anto you might be interested in seeing a different side of it, a more colorful side.

In solidarity,
Mari



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers